Wednesday 11 August 2010

Team A Depart

A subdued feeling this morning. The 9 Team A volunteers here with us in Arusha plus our very own Team B-er Stephanie Golightly had to head home today.

There have been plenty of times on this trip where I have been quietly looking forward to the big group becoming smaller, but when faced with the reality of this situation it is a decidedly unhappy affair. The last 12months of my life have been dominated by this expedition, to see it end is like saying goodbye to a little baby really. To say goodbye to people I have become close to not only on the trip but also through the year is a very sad thing to do.

What fills me with joy is that each and everyone of the 10 who departed today are sad to be leaving. Sometimes people feel ready to leave, and that is fine, but sometimes, after 4 weeks in a country you really do start to feel at home. It has been awesome to see people grow throughout this trip and learn to become part of Tanzanian culture. This trip can be another holiday, or it can be a chance to really push yourself outside your comfort zone and learn a massive amount about yourself in the process.

No one epitomises this more than Steph Golightly. I have had so many emails from her this year worrying about this that and the other. Having never embarked on a trip like this and never done anything like climbing a somewhat large mountain, Steph was very nervous and wanted to know every last detail - she definitely kept me on my toes. Throughout the trip we have seen Steph really relax in this country and from being once very nervous about travelling she stood there this morning in tears as she simply did not want to go home. Nothing shows this more than last night as she fought with a DallaDalla driver who was trying to rip the team off telling him very very firmly that he was not to refer to her as 'baby'. She really exemplifies the idea that you get out of these trips what you put in and I am very proud of her from a leadership position, but more importantly a friend as well. She will be missed in the next three days.

That's all for now folks. 3 more days before the rest of Team B depart and just Lisa, Tash and myself are left to take on the rest of E. Africa alone. Saturday will be a sad day indeed,

On a good not,. I have booked a gorilla tracking permit for 21st August. Seeing gorillas in the wild is my no.1 thing to do before I die, so its pretty exciting. I know my Grandma would be so proud of this!

Best Wishes

Nick

No comments:

Post a Comment